Based on feedback from our patients, our primary goals with SBO patients are to:
- Decrease or eliminate your chance of having another bowel surgery;
- Improve your overall quality of life;
- Provide individualized instruction on what causes your problems (diet, activities, spasm, adhesions, etc.)
- Teach you to recognize warning signs before problems occur and steps to take to avoid them;
- Instruct you thoroughly in a simple home program to maintain the gains you achieve in therapy.
Note: Abdominal and pelvic surgery can change your intestines significantly. Thus, you may continue to have moderate or extensive diet restrictions even after therapy. Whether you will be able to start eating the foods you enjoyed before your obstructions began will depend on your individual case.
Clinical data consistently shows that patients who follow our dietary guidelines and home treatment program have far better outcomes, with fewer or no problems long after therapy, than those who do not. Beyond treating you, we will teach you to take care of your post-surgical body for the rest of your life.