Belinda Wurn, PT
- International Director of Services
- Over 45,000 treatment hours
- Author of Miracle Moms – The Clear Passage Story
- Author of Overcome Infertility and Pain – Naturally
- Author of Adhesions – The Body’s Hidden Menace
- Co-Developer of the Wurn Technique® and Clear Passage Approach®
Belinda Wurn is Director of Services for Clear Passage, a network of physical therapy clinics in North America and the United Kingdom treating pain, female infertility, bowel obstruction, and sexual dysfunction, non-surgically. She co-developed the Wurn Technique®, a non-surgical treatment for these and other adhesion-related conditions.
She began developing her work after surgery and massive doses of radiation therapy left her with “frozen pelvis.” Most of her pelvic organs were adhered to each other, leaving her in debilitating pain. Her doctors said that surgery would only cause more adhesions, making things even worse.
Unwilling to accept a life of pain, she and her husband, massage therapist Larry Wurn, began to study with teachers in the U.S. and Europe to create their own protocols to relieve adhesions. They combined the most effective techniques of the instructors with whom they studied, over decades refining and creating their own techniques to produce the unique treatment approach they use today.
Over time, they found their work improved fertility for many women, and replaced major surgery for some serious adhesion-related conditions. Published studies measure the effects of their work in conditions previously only treated by surgery – including blocked fallopian tubes and small bowel obstructions.
Belinda co-authored pioneering studies on the use of the Wurn Technique® and Clear Passage Approach® to treat chronic pain, endometriosis, women’s sexual health, and infertility. Her research has been published in numerous peer-reviewed medical journals including The Journal of Endometriosis, Medscape General Medicine, Contemporary Ob/Gyn, Healthcare, Journal of Clinical Medicine, and Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. These citations demonstrate positive results treating endometriosis pain, opening blocked fallopian tubes, increasing IVF success, clearing adhered and blocked intestines, and improving fertility.
Belinda serves as National Director of Services for Clear Passage, and assists in teaching and certifying therapists for outlying clinic locations. Belinda authored the 500+ page Therapist Training Manual that she and her staff use to train therapists for their national clinic network. Over the last decades, Belinda has gained significant expertise in natural methods of improving fertility and increasing IVF success rates. She has administered more than 45,000 hours of therapy to patients with pain, infertility, and sexual dysfunction.
Belinda graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. in physical therapy from the University of Florida in 1975. With extensive post-graduate work and decades of professional experience, she is considered an expert in the causes and treatments for various types of sexual dysfunction, including decreased orgasm, desire, arousal, lubrication and satisfaction, and painful intercourse.
Before developing their work with infertility, endometriosis and bowel obstructions, she and Larry owned a network of chronic pain clinics.
Selected peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order):
- Wurn BF, Wurn LJ, King CR, Heuer MA, Roscow AS, Scharf ES, Shuster JJ. (2004) Treating Female Infertility and Improving IVF Pregnancy Rates with a Manual Physical Therapy Technique. Med Gen Med, 6(2): 51. PMID 15266276.
- Wurn LJ, Wurn BF, King CR, Roscow AS, Scharf ES, Shuster JJ. (2004) Increasing Orgasm and Decreasing Dyspareunia by a Manual Physical Therapy Technique. Med Gen Med, 6(4): 47. PMID 15775874
- Wurn LJ, Wurn BF, Kan M, King CR, Roscow AS, Scharf ES. (2006) Treating hydrosalpinx with a manual physical therapy. Fertil Steril., 86 (Supp 2): S307. Abstract.
- Wurn LJ, Wurn BF, King CR, Roscow AS, Scharf ES, Shuster JJ. (2006) Treating endometriosis pain with a manual physical therapy. Fertil Steril., 86 (Supp 2): S262. Abstract.
- Wurn LJ, Wurn BF, King CR, Roscow AS, Scharf ES, Shuster JJ. (2006) Improving sexual function in patients with endometriosis via a pelvic physical therapy. Fertil Steril., 86 (Supp 2): S29-30. Abstract.
Wurn BF, Wurn LJ, King CR, Heuer MA, Roscow AS, Hornberger K, Scharf ES. (2008) Treating Fallopian Tube Occlusion with a Manual Pelvic Physical Therapy. Altern Ther Health Med.,14(1):18-23. PMID 18251317.
- Highlighted in Contemporary Ob/Gyn, Technology, Vol. 53, April 15, 2008, p. 12.
- Rice AD, King CR, Reed ED, Patterson K, Wurn BF and WurnLJ. (2013) Manual Physical Therapy for Non-Surgical Treatment of Adhesion-Related Small Bowel Obstructions: Two Case Reports. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2:1-12. doi:10.3390/jcm2010001
- Rice AD, Reed ED, Patterson K, Wurn BF and Wurn LJ. (2013) Clearing Bowel Obstruction and Decreasing Pain in a Terminally Ill Patient via Manual Physical Therapy. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16(3):222-3. PMID: 23362839
- Rice AD, Wakefield LB, Patterson K, Reed ED, Wurn BF, King CR, and Wurn LJ. (2014) Decreasing Adhesions and Avoiding Further Surgery in a Pediatric Patient Involved in a Severe Pedestrian versus Motor Vehicle Accident. Pediatric Reports, 6:5126. PMID: 24711912
- Rice AD, Wakefield LB, Patterson K, Reed ED, Wurn BF, Klingenberg B, King CR and Wurn LJ. (2014) Development and validation of a questionnaire to measure serious and common quality of life issues for patients experiencing small bowel obstructions. Healthcare, 2(1): 139-149. doi:10.3390/healthcare2010139
- Rice AD, Patterson K, Wurn BF, King CR and Wurn LJ. (2014) Update on “Decreasing dyspareunia and dysmenorrhea in women with endometriosis via a manual physical therapy: results from 2 independent studies”. Journal of Endometriosis, 6(3):161-162. doi: 10.5301/je.5000193
- Rice AD, Patterson K, Wakefield LB, Reed ED, Breder KP, Wurn BF, King CR and Wurn LJ. (2015) Ten-year retrospective study on the efficacy of a manual physical therapy to treat female infertility. Alt Ther Health Med, 21(3):32-40.
- Rice, A.D., Patterson, K., Reed, E.D., Wurn, B.F., Klingenberg, B., King III, C.R., & Wurn, L.W. (2016). Treating small bowel obstruction with a manual physical therapy: A prospective efficacy study. BioMed Research International, 2016: 7610387. doi: 10.1155/2016/7610387